#asinglelove:The Directory

Useful information for single unmarried mothers in Singapore

title icon

Child Maintenance


What is it?

  • Both biological parents are legally obligated to provide financial support until a child reaches 21 years old.
  • You can apply for a maintenance order from the court to ensure that the biological father fulfils this responsibility.

Father’s name on child’s birth certificate

Assumed to be parent and obligated to pay maintenance

Father’s name not on child’s birth certificate

Can deny the parental relationship

Do DNA test to prove parentage, but court cannot force the father to take the test, and test results can be disputed

If DNA test proves parentage, then obligated to pay maintenance


How do I apply?

  • 1


    • Family Justice Courts Building or online via iFAMS
    • Submit and swear your complaint before a Magistrate or District Judge
  • 2


    • Biological father is summoned at a service date and time at which he has to come to the court to accept the summons.
  • 3


    • Court will provide free mediation for both parties to reach a settlement.
  • 4


    • Short hearing before a District Judge
    • Fix trial dates
  • 5


    • Judge will hear claims and case is concluded


What documents do I need?

Maintenance Order:

  • IC
  • Copy of marriage certificate (if applicable)
  • Copy of birth certificate of child
  • Copy of the order of court (e.g. maintenance order) that you with to enforce (if applicable)

Complaint to enforce maintenance order:

  • Your identification card
  • Photocopies of your marriage certificate (if applicable)
  • Photocopies of your children’s birth certificate(s) (if applicable)
  • Order of the court previously granted (i.e. the original maintenance order)

Prepare evidence to show the following factors:

  • Financial needs of the child (e.g. receipts)
  • Income, property and other financial resources of the mother and father
  • Any physical or mental disabilities of the mother or child (if applicable)
  • Age of mother and father, and duration of the marriage (if applicable)


Next steps

You can submit a maintenance order application or an enforcement order application by yourself, or through a lawyer if necessary.


6435 5471


Family Justice Courts
3 Havelock Square
Singapore 059725

Legal Help with Application